A very short hearing Wednesday determined that another hearing will now be held on September 15 to set a new trial date — in theory.
After numerous delays, today was supposed to be the actual start of the actor’s trial on the misdemeanor charges stemming from the incident in and around his Chelsea apartment on March 25. Though he was the one who called 911 back in the spring, the Kang the Conquer actor is looking at up to a year behind bars if found guilty on the claims prosecuted by Manhattan D.A. Alvin Bragg’s office.
To that end, Assistant District Attorney Kelli Galaway told Judge Rachel S. Pauley this morning that the prosecution were ready for trial. However, defense lawyers stated in court that there were “deficiencies” in discovery that still needed to be addressed.
Unlike the last hearing on the matter on August 3, when Harlem actress Meagan Good was present with Majors in person the 100 Centre Street courtroom, the 33-year-old actor appeared virtually today before Judge Rachel S. Pauley in the lower Manhattan hearing. The actor said little beyond short responses to the judge on his understanding of mstters. Majors’ lawyers Priya Chaudhry and Seth Zuckerman were in the courtroom for the defense, as was the Assistant D.A. for the people.
Oddly, last month, it was Assistant D.A Galaway who told another judge that “the people are not ready for trial today.” Seeing the matter punted yet again, Galaway stressed the need for more time for more discovery in the matter.
Led by NYC-based lawyer Chaudhry, Majors’ defense team has adamantly insisted from the jump the actor is “completely innocent” and a victim of a “witch hunt” due to “the racial bias that permeates the criminal justice system.
Still, despite repeated efforts to turn the spotlight on to the character and motivations of the 30-year-old woman who was in the apartment with Majors on March 25. On the scene that night, NYPD officers reported the now ex-girlfriend of Majors’ suffering “minor injuries to her head and neck” out of the incident. Notwithstanding a litany of proclamations and predictions by Chaudhry’s office in the months since, not to mention leaked video footage of the woman out clubbing that weekend, the ex-girlfriend in question has not been arrested by the police.
While prominently featured in a return to his villainous Kang role in the just released latest trailer for the October 6 premiering second season of Marvel’s Loki on Disney+, the WME-repped Majors’ once rocketing stardom has dramatically dulled in the months since his arrest and initial arraignment. Dropped suddenly in April by managers 360 Entertainment and PR team the Lede Company (as Deadline exclusively reported), Majors has seen ad campaigns and film roles fall away in quick succession.
Additionally, even as one arm of the Disney empire maintains Majors is on board for Loki and the next phase of Avengers movies, the loud talk of an Oscar nomination for his Magazine Dreams performance has gone silent as the town awaits the outcome of the domestic violence case. Snapped up by Disney’s Searchlight Pictures not long after the intense Elijah Bynum scripted and directed bodybuilding drama debut at this year’s Sundance Film Festival, Magazine Dreams still has a December 3 release date.