As a successful touring musician, I have found that utilizing technology and social media can greatly aid in building a fan base, selling merchandise, and planning tours. Here are 10 tools that I have found to be particularly useful for these purposes:
- Music distribution platforms: Platforms like Spotify, Apple Music, and Bandcamp allow you to easily distribute your music to a global audience.
- Social media management tools: Platforms like Hootsuite and Buffer make it easy to schedule and automate your social media posts, which can be a huge time-saver when you’re on the road.
- Email marketing software: MailChimp, Constant Contact, and ConvertKit make it easy to send targeted, personalized emails to your fan base, keeping them informed about upcoming shows and new releases.
- Online merchandising platforms: Websites like BandMerch and TopSpin make it easy to sell merchandise online, including t-shirts, CDs, and vinyl records.
- Tour booking software: Platforms like Bandsintown and Songkick allow you to easily plan and book tours, and can be used to promote shows to your fan base.
- Crowdfunding platforms: Websites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo allow you to raise money for recording projects, tours, and other expenses.
- Video hosting platforms: Platforms like YouTube and Vimeo are great for sharing music videos, behind-the-scenes footage, and other content with your fans.
- Live streaming tools: Platforms like Facebook Live make it easy to live stream shows and other events, allowing fans who can’t attend in person to still experience the performance.
- Music notation software: Platforms like Sibelius and Finale allow you to easily create and share sheet music, which can be helpful for fans who want to learn your songs or for other musicians who want to cover them.
- Music production software: Programs like Ableton Live, Logic Pro X, and Pro Tools allow you to record, edit, and produce your music, giving you more control over the final product.
Overall, these tools are just a few examples of the many ways that technology and social media can be used to help musicians build and engage with their fan base, sell merchandise, and plan tours. By using these tools to their fullest potential, musicians can greatly enhance their ability to achieve success as a recording and touring artist.